Making a homemade DIY dog food is an excellent way to bond with your furry friend and make sure he eats healthy, which is why it’s important to note that canines have different nutrient requirements than humans for their proportional body size.
They need high-quality protein, fat, carbohydrates, calcium, and essential fatty acids.
Now, here we have a perfectly balanced meal that consists of 50% protein, 25% veggies and 25% grains (although the ratios can easily be adjusted according to your pooch’s needs and requirements).
Let’s get busy!
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 pounds ground turkey
- 3 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 cup peas, canned or frozen
- Pour 3 cups of water in a large saucepan and cook the rice according to package instructions. Once done, set aside.
- In a large stockpot heat olive oil, then add ground turkey and cook until browned (about 4 minutes).
- Add spinach, carrots, zucchini, peas and brown rice. Stir until the spinach has wilted and the mixture is heated through (about 4 minutes).
- Let cool completely.
Once the batch is made, divide them up into single servings and freeze it. Before each serving, defrost it in the fridge overnight and nuke it for 15-30 seconds.
And that’s it! Bon Appétit. Or should we say: woof woof!