Using dog car seat covers helps dog owners keeping their cars clean worldwide. The best dog car seat covers aren’t just large pieces of fabric or plastic thrown over your backseat bench; and if you think so, you’re poised to having your car seats damaged severely within weeks.
Car seat covers for dogs are simple, cheap and definitely a useful alternative to proper dog car seats. The latter option is recommended if your dog can get a little excitable and out of hand while you’re driving. Because seat covers are so cheap and useful to owners of both a car and a dog, it’s a no-brainer purchase.
While the temptation is high to buy a cheap dog car seat cover, it’s definitely not a recommended move. Top bench seat covers at priced around $20-30 and the difference is massive in terms of quality of manufacturing and level of protection.
Dog Car Seat Covers — What’s Important?
When choosing your dog car seat cover, please consider the follow important features and characteristics to avoid picking the wrong product.
Size — obviously, you do want to find a seat cover that will cover the entire bench and not just fall short of few inches! Depending on your vehicle, you may have specific requirements especially for large trucks since your vehicle’s configuration is different than most SUVs and regular cars.
Material — dogs can, amongst a lot of other things, chew and scratch; make sure the material used to conceive the car seat cover of your choice is going to last! Durability is an important factor here and most cheap dog car seat covers under $10 will fail here after a few weeks, if not days. There is no perfect material as either plastic or fabric can both last as long as their are of premium quality.
Waterproof — even if your dog is potty trained, he or she can be wet after an intense play in the wood or by the pond! Having a waterproof dog car seat cover is a must, otherwise you will inevitably end up with dirty seats. Always drive with a large dry and clean towel just to sponge up excess dirt or water.
Setup System — unlike dog car seats, covers are somewhat more final so you set it up once and leave it there for an unlimited amount of time. You usually only detach it for quick wash ups. So the anchoring system matters and you want something sturdy rather than quick to setup. It’s not rocket science and usually takes a couple of minutes maximum:
- either lock the anchors to your car’s seat belt system
- or hook the dog seat cover to the headrest using handle straps
- or both at the same time in some products
Seat Belt Openings — if you are going to have a human and a dog at the back, you do want to make sure your favorite dog car seat cover offers openings to allow access to the car’s seat belt system.
Look & Feel — this is very personal and up to each and every one of you: do you like quilted bench covers or a bright color? Black is always recommended to avoid too visible stains.
Top 3 Best Dog Car Seat Covers
Let’s look at the 3 best dog car seat covers in our reviews below.
Remember that many dog owners want to use a leash acting as a restraining tether to avoid a wandering dog in the car causing any time of incident or worse, accident. Car seat covers for dogs are almost always machine-washable so this is how you can avoid having a bad dog smell taking over your vehicle. Make sure you wash it every time it gets visibly dirty or weekly, whichever comes first.
- Size: available in two sizes; either Standard (54″ x 58″) for most vehicles or X-Large (60″ x 64″) for larger cars, SUVs and trucks
- Material: heavy-duty polyester with Color-Fast technology to avoid color bleeding, the polyester used is heavy-duty to ensure durability
- Waterproof: not one, not two but a triple-layered waterproof protection and an extra padding for better comfort
- Setup System: convertible system to use as standard bench cover or hammock-style full protection
- Seat Belt Openings: designed with built-in openings to allow access and use of the car’s seat belt system
- Look & Feel: luxury feel thanks to the quilted pattern and triple-layer padding protection
Overall, the BarksBar Car Seat Cover For Dogs has the best value for money amongst our top picks. It’s relatively low priced and has everything a car owner will need. It will last you for years, no doubts, and it has over 1,700 customer reviews with an average of 4.5+ ratings at time of writing (March 2017) on some famous online stores.
My second favorite pick, this Epica seat cover is a good product with a quality puncture-resisting polyester fabric and comes in two colors: black or green. There is also a very appreciated 100% money-back satisfaction guarantee.
- Size: one size that will suit most vehicles, cars and SUVs (56″x47″)
- Material: made of heavy-duty polyester that resists punctures and intensive chewers
- Waterproof: has a waterproof lining to protect against spills, pee and regular wetness
- Setup System: can attach anchors to the seatbelt system and secure the cover with headrest loopy straps
- Seat Belt Openings: open slots for easy access to seat belts
- Look & Feel: the quilted fabric gives it a precious feel but lacks a bit of padding
Despite the lack of padding, the Epica Dog Car Seat Cover is a great product that is faster to setup and remove in comparison to the other reviewed products. It is, like most dog car seat covers, very easy to clean in a washing-machine and it’s super fast to dry up.
AmazonBasics is Amazon’s own range of pet products and they usually are good enough for most situations . All in all, this AmazonBasics bench seat cover is good enough:
- Size: one size (roughly 56″ x 47″) that will fit most cars and SUVs (not trucks)
- Material: made from 100% polyester, not completely heavy-duty but strong enough for large dogs
- Waterproof: regular water-resistance
- Setup System: triple attachment system using seat anchors, elastic straps and headrest loops
- Seat Belt Openings: easy access to the car’s seat belts if necessary
- Look & Feel: doesn’t necessarily look cheap, but definitely not a super sturdy feel to it
Definitely a good product overall, it still has some shortcoming especially at how efficient the straps are at holding it in place. More attention to details and a more practical design would rank it much higher. Sometimes it is better to add that extra $10 and get a product of much better craft like the BarksBar dog seat cover.
Buying the best dog car seat cover is not a complicated task as long as you make sure it is waterproof, heavy-duty and big enough. Obviously, pick a product with a solid anchoring system that you can trust and rely on.
Our favorite is the BarksBar dog car seat cover simply because it has everything other products have but also boasts some useful additions such as a nonslip backing and and triple-layered waterproofing.